The organization started and intent on helping women and couples deal with family planning issues is under unrelenting attacks by the “Forced Pregnancy” arm of the Conservative Radicals. Without our help, another pillar of our free, informed society will fall, women will be lied to by the Heritage Foundation and their liars and America will suffer for generations to come.
Can you spare $20? $100? Do you have 10 minutes to write a letter or make a phone call? They need our help. Here is their statement:
Family Planning is under attack in Washoe County.
Nevada women need your help.
The Washoe County Board of County Commissioners and the Washoe County Board of Health have scheduled meetings to discuss the process for distributing Title X funding (America’s family planning funding for low-income women). When Planned Parenthood Mar Monte received a two-year grant to run Street Smart, a program for HIV/AIDS outreach for youth in our area, several commissioners raised questions about the Health Department budget and grant program. There is a chance they may recommend the Title X funds not be accepted by the County.
Take action now! One minute of your time will make a big difference – please write an email to the County Commissioners and the Department of Health to show your support of Title X funding and access to family planning.
Use one or more of these points in your message:
- Washoe County should not refuse to take Title X funds.
- I value family planning and comprehensive sex education and outreach as the best way to protect women, family and teen health.
- Preventing unplanned pregnancies saves Nevada taxpayers – every dollar spent saves $4 in Medicaid costs for pregnancy and newborn health care.
Washoe County Commissioners:
Bonnie Weber, District 5
Jim Galloway, District 1
David Humke, District 2
Robert Larkin, District 4
Kitty Jung, District 3
Washoe County District Health Department:
Report Back: Email email@example.com with “I took action” in the subject line to let us know that you sent your email in!
In addition, the Washoe County Board of Health is proposing to cut family planning funding 90% over a three-year period. This means the county may no longer provide family planning services or the Teen Health Mall program. If this happens about 700 women a year will go without family planning services – this is in addition to the 44,000 in Washoe County who already can’t access family planning they need for breast and cervical cancer screening, sexually transmitted disease testing and treatment and affordable birth control.
Other ways you can take action:
- Call the County Commissioner’s office at (775) 328-2005 to voice your opinion. Call the Washoe District of Health’s office at (775) 328-2400.
- Go to the joint meeting on 2/26: Commission and Board of Health at 1pm, Commissioners Chambers in Bldg A, 1009 E Ninth St, Reno NV 89502.
- Go to the Board of Health meeting 2/28: The Board of Health meets at 1pm, Health Department, South Auditorium, 1009 E Ninth St, Reno, NV 89502.
P.S. Thank you for your support! Learn more about Title X.