America is a Great Country
Some of us believe this, and others of us just say the words but don’t believe it, and still others just plain think We the People stink, and we may all love America.
How can this be? Simple. It all boils down to who you listen to.
Take a moment today, during lunch, jot down a quick list of the things America does well and another list of the things it does poorly, and then go through and place a value for the importance of each item.
Here’s my very short list, but really, don’t cheat. Make your own list and grade your country:
(5) Protect us from foreign invaders
(5) Protect us from violent criminals
(4) Protect our homes from fire
(4) Protect our environment from greedy corporations
(3) Protect the weak and down-trodden
(3) Provides fair and equitable education for all
(3) Protects us from unethical businesses
(2) Protects us from disasters
(4) Protects our food supply, medicines
(5) Protect us from corporate greed
(5) Ensures access to an unbiased media
(5) Protects us from greedy corporations polluting our information, media, and science
(4) Protects us from the ultra-rich having undue influence in our government
(3) Research to help mankind
Okay, now remove everything from your list that isn’t an actual current function of the government. In my list I’ll remove:
– Protect us from corporate greed
– Ensures access to an unbiased media
– Protects us from greedy corporations polluting our information, media, and science
– Protects us from the ultra-rich having undue influence in our government
Now, add up the two groups, Good and Bad. In my list, I have 33 Good and 3 Bad.
This is a quick look at how good you think We the People are at governing ourselves.
The next time you hear someone say how lousy the government is at doing anything, remember this little test and ask yourself if maybe the speaker has no idea what he’s talking about. If that’s the case, perhaps it’s time to change the channel.
Leave a comment and let us know how good or bad you find America to be.
One last point. Why do we know America is great but still listen to people tell us it can’t run anything successfully? Here’s a quote. Can you guess who said it?
The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, ‘I’m from the government and I’m here to help.’