Dump Harry Reid?
Shall Nevada dump Harry Reid? If you are certain we should dump him but can’t quite put your finger on the reason why, watch out, you just might be getting caught up in the anti-Reid advertising. If you actually have some reasons, please post a comment with your reasons.
Anyone making a decision as important as selecting the representatives for our government will certainly want to evaluate the pros and cons of Reid’s accomplishments before making a decision for or against. So, here is my quick list of the pros and cons. Please feel free to add any of your own that might not be listed here.
- He’s the majority Senate leader, ensuring that Nevada has a voice in our government, and a big voice it is being the majority leader. Dumping Harry Reid will mean Nevada will not have another Senate majority leader for many decades.
- Cutting taxes for Nevada’s working families. Well, I’m not real sure if I want to put this as a pro or a con. American’s taxes are so low right now (the lowest they’ve been in over 50 years) that the country is going broke. Cutting taxes is one of the primary reasons we’re in the financial mess we’re in. Still, he has tried to get more money into the hands of the average American and that’s the only fix for this mess.
- Helping to keep Nevadans in their homes
- Creating jobs by investing in Nevada’s clean energy industry
- Killing the proposed Yucca Mountain nuclear waste dump. For me, this is a big BIG deal!
- Passing landmark health insurance reform legislation to help cover more than 600,000 uninsured Nevadans. Remember a year ago? Two years ago? 10 years ago? America has been trying to pass comprehensive health care reform for many decades and only with Harry Reid has it been passed. Could it have been better? Absolutely! But, it’s a wonderful start.
- He allowed more tax breaks for the billionaires and multi-national corporations as part of the stimulus. That only makes things worse, Harry.
- The Republican party has been as obstructionist as ever before in this country’s history. They have tried to prevent anything good from coming through. Harry has been playing nice with them and letting them block legislation after legislation and appointment after appointment. Harry, stand up to the anti-American tactics from the Republicans and call them what they are. Force a filibuster if they threaten one.
- Health care reform could have been so much better if Harry had stood up to the obstructionists.
- Harry let the Republicans strip the Buy-American provision of the stimulus which required the stimulus money go to American businesses. Over half of the stimulus went to stimulate China’s economy and Harry let the Republicans do it.
Following are some of the lies that we’re beginning to see coming out of the Republican lie machine.
- The stimulus didn’t work. This is just so obvious a lie that even the Republicans don’t believe it. We were losing millions of jobs before we passed the stimulus and now we’re starting to get our jobs back and the unemployment rate is going down. It can’t be more obvious, even to the people trying to peddle this lie.
- The second lie is that Harry Reid is responsible for Nevada not getting more stimulus money. This lie is usually uttered in the same breath that lies that the stimulus didn’t work. However, Harry Reid has nothing to do with the stimulus money getting to Nevada. That is something that the governor does and if you remember, our governor, Gibbons, at first refused the stimulus money and later lost out because he fell asleep and failed to request any.
So, tell me, what are your thoughts?