Republican Platform of 1956
How much has the political landscape changed in the past 50 years? You would be horrified if you knew it was going to change that much in the next 50 years.What if I was to inform you that the health plan that Nixon proposed is very similar to Obama’s, yet hardly a single Republican voted for it. (Only the democratic republicans voted for it.)
Here are some highlights of the 1956 Republican Party Platform.
- We are proud of and shall continue our far-reaching and sound advances in matters of basic human needs—expansion of social security—broadened coverage in unemployment insurance —improved housing—and better health protection for all our people. We are determined that our government remain warmly responsive to the urgent social and economic problems of our people.
- We favor a comprehensive study of the effect upon wildlife of the drainage of our wetlands.
- We favor recognition, by the States, of wild-life and recreation management and conservation as a beneficial use of water.
- We subscribe to the general objectives of groups seeking to guard the beauty of our land and to promote clean, attractive surroundings throughout America.
- We recognize the need for maintaining isolated wilderness areas to provide opportunity for future generations to experience some of the wilderness living through which the traditional American spirit of hardihood was developed.
- We will vigorously promote, as we have in the past, a non-political career service under the merit system which will attract and retain able servants of the people. Many gains in this field, notably pay increases and a host of new benefits, have been achieved in their behalf in less than four years.
- We condemn illegal lobbying for any cause and improper use of money in political activities, including the use of funds collected by compulsion for political purposes contrary to the personal desires of the individual.
Some would say that the party was as good a liar back then as they are now but that’s wrong. They helped advance lots of programs and policies that actually helped America.
Contrast that with today. The Republican party’s sole purpose is to destroy America’s president, even knowing that it’s destroying America.